[OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs captu

Subject: [OM] Re: lightroom vs lightzone vs olymaster vs olystudio vs ps vs capture 1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:56:54 -0500
I will also vouch for PTLens.  I've owned it for nearly a year but until
just the past couple of days never had lens data for the lenses I use on
the 5D.  I submitted test images for two OM mount MF lenses (Tokina RMC
17/3.5 and Zuiko 24/2.8) and three EOS mount zooms (Tamron SP
20-40/2.7-3.5, Tokina AT-X Pro 28-80/2.8 and Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200/2.8.

Apart from doing corrections automatically according to a lens profile
it is also able to correct "mustache" or complex distortion beyond
simple barrel and pincushion distortion.  That's something that
PhotoShop can't do.  I wasn't surprised to see mustache distortion in
the Tokina 17 or the Tamron 20-40 but was surprised to see it in the
Zuiko 24 as well.

The database was only updated yesterday so I've only corrected a single
image so far.  Like Moose's tree image (link below) my test image was
not an architectural subject but one of some Cypress swamp shots I made
while crossing the Tamiami Trail through the Everglades in my Florida
trip earlier this month.  It's really quite surprising to see the change
in the image.

ps:  My Zuiko 24/2.8 data can be used for other than a Canyon 5D but
does need to be a full frame image.  I don't know if anyone has
submitted data on other OM mount primes for use on 4/3.  Since the
mustache distortion on the 24/2.8 was a surprise I think I'll also test
some of the other OM mount primes that I use on the 5D.  I also need to
do some image quality tests to see if the Tamron 20-40 (it actually
identifies itself as a 21-39 in the EXIF) is competitive with the Zuiko
24/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 primes.

Chuck Norcutt