[OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: ND Filter for Wide Angle Lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 07:50:44 -0500
B+W (Schneider optics) makes slim ND filters but they all seem to be
special order items at B&H with a 6-10 week delivery time.  Here's a
77mm example
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/154723-REG/B_W_65098921_77mm_102_Neutral_Density.html>

Be aware that slim filters have no front threads so there's no stacking
which is what some folks would like to do with ND filters.  On the other
hand, stacking would probably obviate the advantage of the slim line in
reducing vignetting and worsen the optical results to boot.

I didn't do any detailed checking but from Schneider's web site it
appeared to me that the larger sizes (maybe 77mm on up) were only
available in 2X (1 stop) or 4X (2 stops).  I think smaller sizes had
greater reductions available, at least up to 8X (3 stops)

Chuck Norcutt