[OM] Re: Jewelry? Software solution.

Subject: [OM] Re: Jewelry? Software solution.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:45:27 -0500
I have downloaded and installed CombineZ5 but have never used it.  So
far, I haven't found that depth of field is a significant problem; at
least in the types of jewelry I've shot which has been mostly large
rings and necklaces.  I suppose a set of tiny diamond solitaire ear
rings might be a different situation but so far I've not had to shoot
anything at more than 1/2 life size and more typically 1/4 or much less.
  Also, if the photos are for illustrating catalogs or something
similar, the print size tends to be small.  You don't typically find the
final print being larger than life size and a smaller print has more
apparent depth of field.

I find that the Mynolta A1 in its macro mode does a fine job and the
short focal length (50mm for 200mm equivalent) helps considerably with
depth of field over the size of a very large ring.  While only 5MP it's
more than enough for a modest size print.  A 100mm macro at small
apertures on a full frame camera will get most of a large ring in sharp
focus and the part that isn't can be manipulated in framing to be the
unimportant part.  More extensive objects like necklaces and chains can
be shot more or less from above or from the side with the object
suspended in some way to minimize the depth of field limitations.

Remember that folks have been shooting jewelry with film cameras for
ages without the advantage of digital image stacking.  You can use the
tool you have and then control the shooting situation to take best
advantage of the tool you have.

I forgot to mention that reusable tacky adhesive is a must for shooting
things like rings when you want them in a standing position.
<http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&productId=11061&cmArea=SEARCH>
You can usually mount the item in such a way that the adhesive blob is
hidden but sometimes it's necessary to use PhotoShop to clean up.

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt