[OM] Astrophotography, was: OT:Collimate Was: The End of Polaroid Film

Subject: [OM] Astrophotography, was: OT:Collimate Was: The End of Polaroid Film
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 06:49:20 -0500
It's also the reason that I bought my OM-1 when deciding to replace my
Miranda GT.  On reflection, I think the Miranda was a better tool for
the job because of its interchangeable pentaprism/view finder
accessories.  The varimagni is limiting in comparison.  But it didn't
matter.  The real problem is not the camera but the guiding for long
exposure photography.  I had all the tools but not the patience.
Furthermore, for the last 21 years, I've lived in terribly light
polluted areas.

But the one thing I never did try was wide field astrophotography with
the camera mounted on top of the scope for guiding but using a
conventional lens of, say, 50-200mm on the camera as the taking lens
rather than the 2000mm of my Celestron 8.  That greatly simplifies the
guiding task because of the much reduced magnification.  Also, the
ability to use digital multiple exposures with stacking software has
changed the long exposure game.  And with the last move I'm finally back
to an area with darker skies... I can actually see the Milky Way again.
  But right now it's too damned cold!  When I was young and stupid I
used to go observing in this same area wearing a snow mobile suit and
heavy, felt-lined boots.  Now that I'm old and slightly less stupid I
won't do that anymore.  Maybe in the spring.

Chuck Norcutt