[OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: E3 firmware update AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 00:09:35 +1030
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:46:34PM -0800, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Okay, downloaded Olympus Master 2.05 and tried again, on three
> different computers. There's no crap about "administrator login" this
> time, but none of the three computers can detect the camera!
>
> What a load of crap. Leopard has been out for four months. Developer
> access has been well over a year.
>
> I can just hear some marketing manager saying, "But we never get any
> complaints from Mac users!" THAT'S BECAUSE NO ONE CAN USE IT, YOU BOZO!
>
> There. That felt better. But I still can't use my 1200mm equivalent
> f6.5 lens.
>
> The most excellent plan, poorly implemented, might as well have never
> happened.
>
> I'm going to go try Chris's suggestion of Olympus Studio trial
> version, but it sure is starting to feel like banging my head against
> a wall...

Jan,

I hope they resolve it, if only to increase market penetration, because
it isn't a bad tool at all, as these sort of things go- it's great for
a quick & dirty automatic fixup for some things.

This sort of thing is my personal gauge of how serious a software
supplier is, i.e.  do they provide a version that will work under
Xwindows & *N*X. Unfortunately the majority of software suppliers
just fail this test outright.  As a result I don't buy much software.
Usually the freeware equivalent is better anyway! That said, I do have
the sacrificial $300 junk windoze box (I paid my 30 pieces for the OS)
for just such an emergency...

The windoze version won't upgrade for me... it says there are upgrades &
then crashes the upgrade process...  :(

davidt