[OM] Re: List Nanny Question WAS Re: OT, Nabble?

Subject: [OM] Re: List Nanny Question WAS Re: OT, Nabble?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:09:48 -0800
I have friends not on this list who have complained about the huge
increase in spam this month. I think it is really the internet
environment that has changed. Spammers have New Year's resolutions
too, I suppose.

I find that spam filtering of my own beyond that of the ISP helps a
great deal. I use SpamSeive, which is not expensive. Mac only I think.
Apple Mail has a feature that seems to help too. I don't know whether
other mail apps have something similar. Once the rude messages are
selected you can choose Bounce from the Message menu and a bounce
signal is sent to the spam server as if it was sent to a bad address.
The hope is that automatic list maintenance by the spammer will delete
your address from the database. It is easy to do and seems to have
some effect on the volume received. You do get an occasional
undeliverable message notice from the bounced messages.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA