[OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]

Subject: [OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]
From: Robert McFetridge <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:46:19 -0500
Bernard
I am new to the group. I joined after this incident so I looked back
on the record to see what occurred. I also looked at your beautiful
pictures and saw nothing in them to suggest what was implied. To the
contrary I recognized that you were traveling on  what appeared a low
budget in the local community. Your images reflected the beauty and
qualities of the people and places you saw. Even in the worst places
on this planet we must seek the human spirit rise above the
conditions in which it is subject and I felt you were trying to do
just that. I also believe that people who travel to nations such as
Burma and carry cameras reflect uncommon courage.

The comment from the other member was naive and perhaps intemperate
but I think you answered it with tact and dignity. Not many of us
either take the risks or have the opportunities to visit such places.
Here in North America in particular I have found that many folk
simply do not appreciate the realities beyond the very westernized
views of our news networks.  I did not get a sense of malice from the
comment but rather a challenge to explain why you went there.

I for one am glad you did. Your images prove the value of your visit.
Bob