[OM] OT Help needed on Nikon scanner

Subject: [OM] OT Help needed on Nikon scanner
From: Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:05:28 +0000
Can anyone help with a problem with my Nikon LS30 scanner ?

I used the scanner yesterday for the first time in about six
months.  I had been waiting until I found time to clean the mirror,
which I thought was affecting the quality of scans.  Because of
difficulty with one jammed screw, the only disassembly I did was to
take off the side and front covers.  I then cleaned the dust off the
mirror using moistened lens tissues.

I also - and this may have been a mistake - wiped some dust off the
two steel rails on which the mirror/lens assembly runs.  In doing so
I wonder if I have removed lubricant.

On using the scanner again, all but four of the frames in the first
film were blurred.  The effect is similar to camera shake.  I then
tried repeated scans of one frame, which certainly did not look
blurred to the naked eye.  I used both the SR20 motorised film strip
holder and the FH2 film strip holder, in case the motorised version
that I had started with was causing problems.  There was no difference there.

What did make a difference was whether I used the scanner vertically
or horizontally.  In the past I have always used it
vertically.  Having learnt the difference it can make to the amount
of dust collecting on the mirror, I decided to use it horizontally
from now on.  In my tests, used horizontally, the scans were almost
always blurred.  Used vertically, they are blurred about 60% of the time.

You can see examples at http://www.vyuze.com/v/blurred.jpg and
http://www.vyuze.com/v/ok.jpg

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be gratefully received.

OM connection - shot was taken with am OM4 and 100/2.8.

Mike Bloor