[OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 focus problems?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:59:20 -0500
Early adopters of the Canyon 20D had lots of complaints about focusing
errors.  It's one of the reasons I didn't buy one right away and then
the 5D became available in the interim.  But that faded away for reasons
unknown to me and I'm not aware of any complaints of focusing errors in
the Canyon line again until the recent flap over the flagship 1Ds Mark III.

I found your comment interesting about the E-3 having a sensitivity
control for the center focusing point.  When I was looking at the
battery images from the complaints list on the 4/3 site posted by Johnny
<http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20049>
I was much bothered by the fact that the comparison image from the E-510
was not of the same setup and, furthermore, the focusing target is very
dark and very low contrast but surrounded by much better targets for a
wide field focusing point to lock in on.

There may be lots of other good points I haven't bothered to follow but
I was suspicious of user error on this test and your comments that angle
of view sensitivity is adjustable only makes me more so.  I might also
help explain some of the complaints the focusing is not consistent
(maybe camera not precisely aimed from shot to shot) unless those
complaints involved cameras on a tripod.

Chuck Norcutt