[OM] Eneloop Batteries and Photo shoot w/E-510

Subject: [OM] Eneloop Batteries and Photo shoot w/E-510
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 02:36:13 -0500
Hi folks:

I hope I don't offend anyone with this e-mail talking about cameras and related
stuff.  ;o)

I bought three 8-packs of Eneloops for $19.95 each the first part of December.
So the current $14.95 price is a very good deal. The MSRP is $39.95 for an
eight pack. I gave my son and daughter a set each as a Christmas stocking
stuffer.

Today I was playing around with my old E-20. It turned on briefly then went
off. I checked the batteries. They were Sanyo NiMh rechargeables. I haven't
looked at the E-20 for months and months since I have an E-500 and an E-510, so
depleted batteries were no surprise. But it was a nice surprise to open the
Eneloop package, put four batteries in the camera and have it fire right up
with a fully charged battery indication.

I just ordered two Eneloops chargers with four batteries in each package and
another eight-pack of batteries to keep with my photo gear. I figured they
might come in handy on some future photo shoot. The FL-50 flash requires four
AAs even when using an external power pack. I  guess I'll start keeping
Eneloops in my FL-50 flash.

BTW, Chuck, I had my first extended shoot with the SP pack on December 8th. I
shot over 250 candid pictures at a company party with my E-510, 14-54mm lens,
FL-50 flash, the SP power pack and a Lightsphere. Everything worked like a
charm. The SP pack was still going strong when I finished. After culling, we
delivered 200+ photos on a CD to the client.

We also set up a muslin backdrop and made portraits at the event. My daughter
used her tripod mounted E-510 with the 40-150mm lens and two Alien Bees with
white umbrellas for reflected lighting. The results were quite good. We sold 50
or so prints. We had a 17" MacBook Pro tethered to a Canon Pixma Pro 9000
inkjet printer (using Olympus Studio 2 software) and my son printed the photos
on the spot using 5X7 Ilford Smooth Pearl paper. (Thanks for the suggestion,
Ken.) We had my son's E-510 with another 14-54mm available, but after seeing
the first pictures we decided to stay with the kit lens. I don't understand why
folks keep panning the kit lenses. They can produce excellent results.

The E-510s were more than suitable for the task(s). There were a few short
auto-focus "hunt" incidents in the subdued lighting (large hotel ballroom with
high ceilings), but over all I was quite pleased with the performance of both
the E-510s and the ZD zoom lenses.

I wish a happy and prosperous new year to each of you and to your respective
families.

Robert