[OM] Re: Sony 357/SR44W batteries - 20 still available.

Subject: [OM] Re: Sony 357/SR44W batteries - 20 still available.
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:21:40 -0800 (PST)
I have used my OM2S in Peru extensively at high altitude in fairly cold alpine
climbing
conditions. I always kept it under my jacket when not actually shooting and
tried to made sure
exposures were going to be 1/125 or more. I did not have too many problems
except early in morning
when camera had been sitting on snow in my pack overnight. I was shooting in
Bryce-Canyon at dawn
a few years back in mid winter and needed to warm up cells a couple of times by
removing them from
camera and placing them in plastic bag in my mouth. Exposures were on the
longer side then.

With a little effort you could make your own battery adapter from a strip of
aluminum drilled to
fit on tripod socket aranged so the strip covers the battery hole. Glue on a
peice of dowel with
tiny screw on end to form battery contact underneath the metal strip. Run some
wires to external
battery pack from the dowel and from metal strip. (Camera body is +Ve!!!!) You
could use *new* AAA
alkaline cells in the external pack in place of SR44 if you like. Voltages are
close enough to
1.5V if they are almost new and the OM drain is low. Alkalines don't work too
well in cold either,
but drain is so low it should be ok , or make the lead long and place in warm
pocket.

Tim Hughes