[OM] Unix security [was: OT - firewire]

Subject: [OM] Unix security [was: OT - firewire]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:11:41 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I don't know what ssh and kerberos are...

"ssh" is "secure shell." It's the primary means of encrypting data
streams between Unix boxes... and many others. It's the primary way
VPN -- Virtual Private Networks -- are implemented. It is similar in
many ways to the "https:" sites that many on this list so willingly
enter their credit card into when obtaining silicon oxide jewelry from
Japan and China.

"kerberos" is a sort of secret key server. It allows secure sites to
exchange encryption information -- sort of meta-encryption.

ssh and kerberos are two of the primary security mechanisms of the
Internet, so any computer than only advertises these services is much
more secure than ones that offer http (web) ftp (file transfer) telnet
(terminal control), or heaven forbid, smb (Windows file sharing).

> If the Grisoft test can find you, someone in the
> world will be able to defeat the security place on the access point.

All those two particular tests show is that ports exist. The Grisoft
test will also find open ports at eBay.com, PayPal.com, and
YourBank.com.

The problem is not that a computer is willing to communicate to the
outside world; the problem is that many computers are configured to be
promiscuous with the outside world, and that certain services are
fairly easy to crack. Others are damn near impossible, unless you're
NSA.

:::: The Apocalypse has Four Horsemen: climate change, habitat
destruction, industrial agriculture, and poverty. Each Horseman holds
a whip called Growth in his hand. None can be stopped unless all are
stopped. -- David Foley ::::

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality <http://www.EcoReality.org