[OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?

Subject: [OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:35:29 -0800
Darin wrote:
> Moose, thanks for the pointers, that little light box is just what I had in
> mind. The sorter would be nice too, but my desk is so cluttered I don't know
> where I'd be able to put it. ;^)
My desk suffers from the same condition. the sorter spends its non-use
time lfoded up in the box it came in and stored in the closet. Last time
I used it, it was balanced somewhat precariously on something else.
> Perhaps some day though.
>
> Moose and Chuck, I hadn't even thought about using a reversed lens, that's a
> great idea, at least to get me by until I get a real loupe.

The optics are better than most loupes. Think about it. The lens was
designed to cover the area of 35mm film with flat field and high
resolution. The only reason to get a loupe instead is mechanical
convenience.
> Winsor, thank you for the tips on loupes. I had no idea what power would let
> me see the whole image. I'll probably end up getting a 4X and an 8X.
>
> A couple more questions. Does the quality of the optics in the loupe matter
> much in anyones opinion
Yes, certainly
> , or will a cheap one work just fine?

You don't want one with plastic lens(es) or only a single lens. For me,
the really cheap ones aren't clear enough and are terrible in the
corners. Of course, you can simply move the lens center over the corner,
but I like to be able to see the whole frame clearly at once.

Personally, I think the very expensive ones, while lovely lenses, are
simply overkill for the task at hand.
Unfortunately, I can't speak to brands, as I have any number of
magnifying devices acquired over the years floating around here. There
was a nicely designed gray, square one with clear spacer bottom , but it
hasn't surfaced for some time. Last time, I think I use a folding linen
tester  from the misc. stuff drawer. I often do have a 50mm camera lens
or some enlarger lens floating about on the desk for casual loupe use,
or can pop one off a camera in a drawer just behind me.

I did a minor clean-up the other day, so the only lens on the desk was
an enormous eyepiece lens assembly from some sort of WWII piece of
optical equipment, complete with focusing helicoid. It belonged to a
fellow who worked for me and left it to me when he retired. He acquired
it when he was an aerial photo interpreter in WWII. Huge, flat, sharp
field, but at 2 lbs., not easy to hold for long. On the light table, it
can simply rest on the slide mount, though.

Then there are a couple of B&L 10x hastings triplet hand glasses in the
pencil drawer...

Moose