[OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?

Subject: [OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 01:24:31 -0800
Moose, thanks for the pointers, that little light box is just what I had in
mind. The sorter would be nice too, but my desk is so cluttered I don't know
where I'd be able to put it. ;^) Perhaps some day though.

Moose and Chuck, I hadn't even thought about using a reversed lens, that's a
great idea, at least to get me by until I get a real loupe.

Winsor, thank you for the tips on loupes. I had no idea what power would let
me see the whole image. I'll probably end up getting a 4X and an 8X.

A couple more questions. Does the quality of the optics in the loupe matter
much in anyones opinion, or will a cheap one work just fine?

Also, Orins' mention of scanning film from meteor showers reminded me of a
problem I'm having with this scanner (CanoScan 4400F for anyone who's
wondering). I have some negatives I shot over the summer of star trails that
the scanner doesn't seem to want to scan. They are on color print film, Fuji
Superia X-tra 400 if I remember right. The only way I've been able to get
the scanner to consistently recognize these frames, has been to scan them as
B&W, then convert back to color. However, as I'm sure you can imagine, the
results are something short of spectacular. Any tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks again to all who replied,
Darin