[OM] Re: B&W with Carl Zeiss ZF

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W with Carl Zeiss ZF
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:57:05 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:

> I was trying to apply filtration in PS but seems the result is not good,
> maybe due to my skills of PS is so bad. It seems grey more than B&W if
> compare with my B&W shots. So I'd rather shoot B&W film than simulation in
> PS.

Well, you're trying the chromogenic films, so you should also give the
Ilford Delta series a try (if you haven't already).  Delta 100 had the
best tonality of any B&W film I've ever souped, but you need to soup it
in their own DD-X developer for best results (although most developers
will work adequately).  It's getting harder and harder to find Delta; my
local London Drugs has finally given up on film completely 'cept for the
APS cartridge stuff (which puzzles me), and even my pro store here in
Calgary has renovated their store to de-emphasize even further the
remaining film stocks.

Hope it never dies, but film's definitely struggling these days...

Garth