[OM] Re: To keep the boxes or not to keep

Subject: [OM] Re: To keep the boxes or not to keep
From: "Tom Scales" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:09:59 -0500
> Olli Hänninen
>

> I just moved to a new appartment. There is very little storage space
> there.
> Therefore, I have begun considering what all stuff I could let go.
> There are
> two things that reserve a relatively large amount of space in my
> closets:
> two original E-1 boxes.
>
> Now I need your help. Is it _really_ worth saving these boxes? I must
> admit
> that I do not know any purpose for them, but that they are collectible
> items
> (or are they?) and perhaps they give a little bit more value to my E-1
> cameras if I someday decide to sell them (to upgrade to E-3 etc.). So
> my
> main question is: is it worth saving these boxes when considered their
> value
> in case of reselling? I mean, if I sell my cameras perhaps after two
> years
> from now, is it certain that my E-1 is worth more if it still has its
> box
> with it? I think it is, but is the difference considerable?
>
> Well, most probably I am going to keep the boxes but the realities
> about
> their value would be nice to know.
>

> Olli

I don't see a digital camera of any type ever being a collectable.  It's not
like 35mm where the basic properties of film never changed.  Digital cameras
are closer to computers and their value will diminish to nothing, over time.

I just made the same decision in preparation for our move and threw them all
away.

Tom