[OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510

Subject: [OM] Re: 12-60 / f2.8-4 with E510
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:40:23 -0800
Doug wrote:
> I've tried to photograph seagulls with manual focus by setting the focus and
> the trying to catch a bird as it passes through the focus zone. It sounds
> like it might be easy but it is actually very hard trying to predict when the
> bird was going to be in focus. My most successful seagull photos happened
> when the were trying to fly against the wind and were basically stationary
> relative to me. The one I have on the internet was shot when the sun was
> setting.
> <http://members.localnet.com/~doug9345/Gull.html >

That's a nice catch for MF film.

The nice things about AF and digital for that sort of subject is the
much higher chance of hitting the focus and the lower noise, so that
crops are cleaner.

This TV, while not moving really fast, did come in from behind me and
move away quickly. The AF did a very good job and the low iso 400 noise
allows both a good shutter speed for 480mm eq. AOV and f11 for decent
DOF. And it makes even crops look good. And this is with the lowly 300D,
with Canyon's older, lower tier AF
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/FilmvsDigi/FvD03.htm>.

Moose