[OM] Re: Flash trigger voltages

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash trigger voltages
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:09:52 -0500
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The problem is not so much determining what the trigger voltage is on
> the flash unit but rather determining how much the camera is designed to
> withstand.  If you have the flash unit in hand you can easily measure it
> yourself with a volt meter.  But there's no way you can tell what the
> camera can take unless the manufacturer tells you.
>
> On Sep.7, 2006 Nils Frohberg sent a note to the list advising us all
> that Olympus Europe tech support had sent him email advising that his
> E-500 and all E-system cameras were protected to 200 volts on the hot
> shoe.

According to Kalle Borch, the trigger voltage for all Olympus digital
cameras is 200v.
In a message sent to the MyOlympus Yahoo group he wrote:
"It is 200 V for all our cameras."

However, Michael Much from Olympus Imaging America, Inc. sent me this email.
" The maximum synch voltage that can be used with Olympus E-System
cameras is 6 VDC. Using studio strobes with higher voltages will burn
out the main circuit board. The Saf Sync Hot Shoe Flash Adapter will
reduce synch voltages to a safe level and compensate for polarity."

The safe trigger voltage at the PC connection could very well be
different than that of the hot shoe.
Who knows what is in the minds of the engineers.

Dick