[OM] Re: 5D vs D300

Subject: [OM] Re: 5D vs D300
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 11:57:27 +1100
I'm using D300 right now and my 5D is in for service. Both capable
cameras, both nice to use. But there's nothing particular about the
D300 that would drag me away form the Canon. However, this week I get
to play with the D3 and this 14-24mm lens and that might be a
different story. The D3 has a great 3" LCD (almost 1 million pixels
lie the Sony A700 - wait for this to become a standard) a really
solid feel to it and that nice card formatting shortcut. The menu
structure is better too although longer than War and Peace.
I really do like the 5D full frame and much about it but, as with
anything, it's really about the lenses. The true comparison is
between the D300 and the Canon 40D.
Oh, and for what it's worth, we found that the CCD in the D200
performs a tad better at 100 ISO than the CMOS sensor in the D300 at
it's standard low setting of 200 ISO. Once you get higher, there's no
comparison of course but if you're doing weddings and portraits, you
could save money by waiting for the D200 price to plummet (and it
will - there's already a $300 rebate here and we don't usually have
much in the way of rebates in Aus.).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx