[OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:17:32 +1030
On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:13:29PM -0800, Jan Steinman wrote:
> With the air welder, you don't actually touch the work with anything,
> so the result is much smoother. You can also heat up a larger area,
> making a stronger bond. Try it, you'll like it!
>
> It comes with "welding rods" of different colors that are compatible
> with the three materials it can handle.

I vote "no" on the soldering iron, too... not enough control, & you just
introduce impurities...

During my days fixing video games (& pinball machines) for an Australian
chain of "family entertainment centres", we took all our broken seats &
mouldings down to our local auto bumper bar exchange. These guys repair
modern plastic auto bumpers using exactly the methods described here,
usually with a large handheld hot air blower fitted with a 1/4" outlet
pipe & filler rod.

davidt