[OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Plastic repairs
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:09:57 -0800
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Seeking the list wisdom on repair of a broken, hard plastic item.

It depends on the type of plastic. "Hard" sounds like it might be
acrylic. But if it's ABS, PVC, or PP, then you might consider welding
it:

        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592

I just used it to repair a hole melted in a 200 liter polypropylene
tank. (Long, sad story involving making biodiesel in cold weather and
an electric heating element.)-:

It worked like a champ. Be sure to practice on something non-critical
first.

They also make an adjustable temperature one for about twice the
price. Might be worth it, although I felt I had good temp control via
air pressure and distance from the work.

:::: On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the
kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. --
Charles Babbage
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99AT12>