[OM] Re: Is the emperor called hyperfocal distance that well dressed?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is the emperor called hyperfocal distance that well dressed?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:39:42 -0500
Now I will have to read this since it doesn't make any sense to me at
all.  Since I haven't read the argument I can't comment on whether
resolution is lost at the near limit of DOF by focusing at infinity but
whether it is or not should be *totally immaterial*.  The very
definition of DOF is based not on the lens or sensor/film resolution but
on resolution of the human eye and its ability to perceive something as
sharp *at the intended print size*.  The fact that the lens might have
been able to resolve a greater amount of detail at the distance chosen
for the near limit of DOF is just meaningless.  By choosing the DOF you
have already chosen the practical limit of resolution based on what you
want to print.  In essence, you have already said you don't care about
more detail whether the lens is capable of delivering or not.

Mutter, mutter...

Chuck Norcutt