[OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:43:00 -0500
It was reported here not so long ago that Oly digital and Canyon flash
contacts are identically or nearly identically placed although Canyon
uses 5 contacts and Oly D uses only four.

Canyon  Oly D   OM TTL
                  o o
   O       O       O
  o o       o
  o o     o o

So, the alignment that Ian reports for the E-330 shoe should hold for
the Canyon shoe as well and OM TTL flash contacts shouldn't bother
either Oly digital or Canyon hot shoe contacts.  Just be sure the flash
is powered off before installing or removing it which you should do in
any case.  The placement is good enough that Canyon off-camera shoe
cords worked fine on Oly digitals and were a better deal in that the
Canyon (version 2) cords at $49.95 were quite a bit cheaper than the Oly
cords.  But it appears that Oly has awakened to that and dropped the
price from whatever it was previously to the now "don't care" level of
$52.95.

Canyon also has a newer version 3 cord at $69.95 which has weather seals
and is reportedly more mechanically robust.  But I've never had any
problems with my V2 cord which seems tough enough.

Dr. Flash