[OM] Re: Any comments on Zuiko Digital 35 or 50 macro? 18-180?

Subject: [OM] Re: Any comments on Zuiko Digital 35 or 50 macro? 18-180?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:42:03 -0800
> From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
>
> I'm... leaning toward the 50mm...
>  But I've got the 50/3.5 and /2.0 and 90/2.0 MF Zuiko
> macros, in addition to all three version of the Tamron 90mm SP
> macros, and
> wonder if I won't be using MF more in macro, even with the AF lenses.

Good question, Greg. I find the ZD 50/2 to be of "legendary" quality,
similar to the OMZ 90/2. If you get one, you will not be disappointed
with the lens, although I understand you may be disappointed to spend
all that money when you have all those other cool macros. I do use the
autofocus with it, mostly out of sloth rather than necessity. But the
autofocus is much more handy when using it as a portrait lens, which I
do frequently. (Just make sure you soften it a bit when shooting older
portraits... :-)

Plus it looks cool, with its concave front element.

> Anyone  care
> to comment on the use of any or all of these macro lenses with the
> Zuiko
> digital bodies?

I did a comparison of a half-dozen OM macros on an E-300.
Unfortunately, I did not include the ZD 50/2 in that bunch.
        http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/opage_1.html

> I'm also thinking about the 18-180 as a general vacation walking-
> around
> lens. Anyone used it?

I just picked one up used from B&H. So far, I'm underwhelmed. I mean,
it's nice that it zooms so much and all, but it just zooms a lot more
than I'm used to. I've concentrated on prime lenses for so long, the
value of a 10x zoom is simply lost on me. I'm unwilling to give up
image quality for zoom. I'll probably play with it a bit more, then
turn it over to my wife, who has a better appreciation of such things.

But if you're happy with the E-510 kit lenses, you'd probably be happy
with the 18-180, as well.

If you're so much into macro that you'd consider the ZD 50/2 even
while owning the legendary OM macros, you might be happier putting
your 18-180 budget toward the Olympus Digital ring flash or twin flash.

:::: Never fear failure! If inevitable, embrace it! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::