[OM] Re: Another "my e-3 is here" email..

Subject: [OM] Re: Another "my e-3 is here" email..
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:16:32 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> At 1/60 you're 3 stops down from the rule of thumb for a 400mm
> equivalent.  At 2 stops (1/125) it might look a lot better.  A light
> monopod might give you the third stop or even a fourth.

  Yeah -- the tricky part with all this lot is that it's hard to get a
good idea for "how much more stable" I am. One of the camera review
sites takes a dozen or so photos and counts the usable ones, which seems
like it should do a good job of averaging things out.

  Playing around some more today, I have a sharp picture at 1/10th and
108mm, ie just over 3 stops ahead of theory -- 1/2.5th at 108mm is
visibly motion blurred, but not horribly so, because it's a fairly close
subject and I was doing my level best to keep things rock solid, elbows
resting on a solid surface, etc.

  I'm a big fan of the kneepod / fencepostpod / wallpod / etc; I know my
hands are shaky without external help, and so I'll tend to gravitate
towards the nearest solid thing if I'm taking photos even if shutter
speed isn't an issue, just to be on the safe side -- IS is a help, but
I'm not going to suddenly stop paying attention to how I hold the camera.

  Similarly, ISO 800 is basically noiseless taking test photos of coke
cans in decent light, but taking a 'serious' shot of city lights at
night, there's definitely a bit of noise there.

  -- dan