[OM] Re: 410-510 prices

Subject: [OM] Re: 410-510 prices
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:27:55 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:

[snip]

> I wonder if I might be permitted to express a smidge of displeasure
> toward (Mt.) Olympus for the fact that those of us who bought the 510
> earlier in the season paid considerably more, and while prices were
> expected to drop in time, one can't help but wonder if one has been
> milked.

Early adopters (I'm one of them, having got the E-3 yesterday) *always*
get "milked."  That's virtually the definition of an early adopter --
someone who's willing to pay "supernormal economic rent" to be amongst
the first to buy a product.

> Not that I will complain too loudly. I have gotten a good summer's
> worth of shooting out of my 510, though the kit lenses have
> languished.

My 410's pleased the heck out of me.  I really don't care that the price
is dropping fast -- I just wish it had been readily available when I
went to Europe back in early May.

> Still, I don't recall other "pro level" manufacturers
> employing such precipitous price drops so soon after introduction.

I assume that there's a big push amongst Oly to "re-introduce" their
brand to a huge swath of consumers who otherwise might be tempted by
Canon or Nikon.  Canon's a bit vulnerable right now, since a lot of
their die-hards are starting to bitch about Canon's recent propensity to
stonewall complaints regarding features, manufacturing errors, etc.  I
was having a chat with my Canon-toting buddy last night, who mentioned
that on some of the more pro- or prosumer-oriented forums, Canonites are
starting to complain loud and long about perceived insensitivity and
lack of customer-centred attitude on the part of Canon.

> Perhaps I'm just not recalling. And what does this mean for those
> among the faithful who are even now fondling their new E-3s?

We'll see the price drop in a few months' time.  So?  T'was ever thus.

I'm just hoping for the E-4 (or, uh, E-5?) in eighteen months' time.
Onward and upward!

Garth