[OM] Re: Another "my e-3 is here" email..

Subject: [OM] Re: Another "my e-3 is here" email..
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:49:52 -0700
Well, Dan and I have been exchanging private e-mails regarding the
availability of the E-3 here in Calgary, and he and I got phoned by our
local pro shop within an hour of each other yesterday.  "Your E-3 is here."

Yippee!

So I go down this morning and succumb to the tune of "Ouch!  Damn, but
my wallet hurts!," picking up not only an E-3 but a 1.4X Teleconverter
for the 12-60 and a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display 2 monitor calibrator.
  I didn't need to eat again 'til after Christmas, did I?  (Considering
how much weight I usually gain at this time of year, the answer is
pretty obviously "no.")

Haven't had much time today to use the beast, but its autofocus is
smokin' fast with the 12-60, whether or not the teleconverter is
attached.  I also did some quick 'n dirty tests with the TC attached and
the 12-60 racked all the way out (giving me a 35mm-equivalent focal
length of 168mm) just to see how well the IS worked on the street
numbers of my neighbour's house across the way.  Fairly impressive
differences between IS and no IS whilst handheld.  Very much like the
results I'd get out of the ol' KonicaMinolta A1 (which I've always liked).

I'll try to take some actual piccies tomorrow (y'know, with a modicum of
artistic merit and all that), and see if I can answer a few of the
questions that Joel and others have posted.

And while I was down at the pro shop, I did have them pull out a Canon
5D body just for sh!ts 'n giggles.  The 5D's still bigger, though the
pentaprism for the high-eyepoint finder on the E-3's several millimetres
higher than the 5D's.

Garth