[OM] Re: a few pictures from the Andes again

Subject: [OM] Re: a few pictures from the Andes again
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:07:52 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:

> Thanks for the encouraging words. I guess there is a sense where
> "fulfilling" would describe the feeling, but there is also a great sense of
> frustration and helplessness.
>
> Some of the pictures tell a story for me that is not readily apparent to a
> viewer. For example, here is a picture of three girls who were brought to us
> from the local village school. There were actually about 60 boys and girls
> in the group, and some of the other pictures on smugmug are also of this 60
> children.
> http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/3614224#206012643
> Their teachers brought them to us, because we were giving out children's
> clothing. These children were orphans, mostly abandoned by their parents.
> Can you feel the helplessness of giving just one article of used clothing to
> a child who is an orphan, who lives in a place that has practically no
> social safety net at all?

I can, and it feels very difficult, And yet - without your group, they
would not even have that. And beyond the material things you don't have
enough of to meet the need, you bring something priceless, the knowledge
that there are those who care and from that, hope.
> <snip more moving and heart wrenching stories and photos>.... But it all
> seems so little in light of their great needs.
>
> Anyways, I have a 1000 pictures with probably 100 stories.

And left them with at least as many stories about people from places
where there is plenty and less suffering who came to bring them support
and the knowledge that there is cause for hope of an improving future.

Moose