[OM] Re: OM lenses for Digital E-series camera

Subject: [OM] Re: OM lenses for Digital E-series camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:32:30 -0500
Whatever lens you would use on a tripod is a good match.  Manual
focusing on a digital, autofocus body is more difficult than on a film
body which typically has focusing aids in the viewfinder.  When you're
on a tripod shooting long telephoto or macro your work is generally
slower and more deliberate and you can take your time to focus.  Even
use your focusing scale with a prime for other than macro.

Also, with no auto diaphragm, you'll have to stop down after focusing
which also calls for a slower and more deliberate method.  Finally, with
the camera in aperture preferred or manual mode, you can use the
camera's meter to set the shutter speed but some lenses and, especially,
particular aperture combinations may need exposure compensation.  You
may find yourself referring to your cheat sheet for the 200/4 at f/16.
That's just an example.  I don't know if that's true of the 200/4 but
could be and is another example of needing to work more slowly and
deliberately.

You'll not likely be using that 200/4 (400mm equivalent on an E-thing)
hand held at a local soccer match.

The E-3 doesn't have interchangeable screens (probably counting on live
view to handle it) and I don't know what screens are available for the
E-1.  The Canon 5D, however, offers an optional screen designed to
facilitate manual focus.  But it's only spec'd for lenses of f/2.8 or
faster.  But it does work.

Chuck Norcutt