[OM] Re: 14-35mm Z.Digital internal zoom?

Subject: [OM] Re: 14-35mm Z.Digital internal zoom?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:13:17 -0500
Hi, Matt.  Welcome to the group.

If the lens says Zuiko it's made by Olympus.  If it says OM it's made
for the OM mount cameras.  The "nc" you quote is probably "MC" for
multicoated.  The serial number of 233851 places it amongst some of the
later model 200mm lenses which were multicoated.  This is a very good
lens if in good condition.  But it's "effective" 35mm equivalent focal
length on your E500 is double the nominal 200mm.  You'll need a tripod
or very high shutter speeds to get sharp pictures at a 35mm equivalent
of 400mm.  Even on the OM body 200mm is kind of long and may require
fast shutter speeds or a tripod or monopod.  A general rule of thumb is
that the shutter speed should be at least equal to focal length.  So the
200mm on the OM body wants at least 1/200 second and 1/400 second on the
digital body.  Check the lens carefully for fungus and specify that it
must be returnable to the seller if found to have fungus or other
undisclosed defects.  Most sellers don't have a clue about fungus.

Yes, 24mm turns into the equivalent of 48mm on your E500.  It's pretty
far from being wide angle.  You need a 12mm lens on the E500 to equal
the 24mm on the OM body.  Unfortunately, you don't find those laying
around used for $100.

Chuck Norcutt