[OM] Re: Darkroom V2

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom V2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:48:35 -0800 (PST)
Moose von Digital wrote:
> A folding design that allows garage use or darkroom use, but not
> both at once? Pretty slick if that's it and you get it to work!

Not quite.  Here is a bit of my thinking:

I've been doodling out the plans for the darkroom.  The biggest
question mark I have is the length of the wall.  The garage is a
two-car garage and the entry into the house is somewhere midway down
the back wall. The garage sticks out front of the house. If the door
isn't centered, I'll put the darkroom on the longer of the two walls.
I believe the longer of the two is the one that backs the laundry as
well as the downstairs bathroom. The other wall backs the utility
closet with the furnace, electrical and hotwater heater.

It looks like I can steal about 3-feet of floor space from the
car-parking area. This, of course, isn't enough for a darkroom, but
what I'll do is actually build it up and over the hood of the car.
I'll go another three feet out.

This raised area would actually be the
countertop. This would give me an effective six feet of room width by
however long that section of garage wall is.  Figure 10 feet. So my
darkroom will end up 6x10.  Not huge, but doable.  I'll install
cabinetry above the countertop except for where the enlarger lives.

By making the countertop 3-feet deep, I can actually place my trays
two-deep.  Not necessarily for the DSF steps, but for my various
water-soak steps. I use a four-tray rinse. Wherever I can place it,
I'm going to have a utility sink built into the room too.

The whole shebang will be insulated and heated.  An exhaust fan will
move the air from the darkroom into the garage and I'll put a fresh
air intake in from the house itself. This way, in the summertime, I
can draw the cooled air from the house through the darkroom.

The space UNDER a countertop is usually pretty wasted. With this
darkroom, this wasted space is actually in the garage.

Oh, to accomodate the REALLY high countertop (4.5 feet), I'll build a
raised floor for the darkroom. Depending on the plumbing situation,
I'll probably run the water lines and drain through this back into
the house.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com