[OM] Re: Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic s

Subject: [OM] Re: Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic stu
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:10:38 -0800
> From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>
> They [insurance companies] tend to do that (pay  claims) with a
> greater efficiency than
> government bureaucracies.

Now I was with you up to that point. That's not according to UN
figures, which show that the most efficient health care systems are
single-payer "government bureaucracies."

We in British Columbia are enduring a wave of privatization, and in
each case, prices have gone up afterward. First they gave away the
railroads, then the ferries, now they're hinting that our electricity
is too cheap (about 6 cent a kWh, among the lowest in the world) and
want to give BC Hydro away, too, so that it can "compete" for people
in California paying 30 cents a kWh.

I guess it depends on what you think the purpose of government is.
Some think it is to protect the rights of property holders, others
think it is to provide for the common welfare of its citizens. Having
lived in a half-dozen countries around the globe with different
systems, I tend to think that health care, like education, is a
government's responsibility.

Requisite Oly content: when I'm sick, I don't take many photos. I got
sick of the US, and take many more photos since I've left.

:::: Conflict cannot survive without your participation. -- Wayne
Dyer ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::