[OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:35:31 -0700
Dan Mitchell wrote:
>   So it's soon ...
>   Option 2: 5D + what? I want something wider than the 11-22 -- with a
> FF body, there's more options, but even after all the discussions here
> I'm not clear which lenses are worthwhile. (heck, if I just wanted wide,
> I've got a 17/3.5 Vivitar lens I could put on the 5D with appropriate
> adapter -- but I don't want something that's too fuzzy in the corners,
> so I think I'm spending something fairly significant)

Nobody seems to believe and/or listen to me on the subject, but I'll say
again that I'm very pleased with the Tamron AF 17-35MM F/2.8-4 Di LD
Aspherical (IF). An FM reviews rating of 8.9 isn't bad either. Yes, it
has that odd barrel distortion endemic to pretty much all such lenses
but the Oly 7-14. Easily corrected with PTLens. Otherwise, just
crackerjack. A whole different size, weight, cost proposition, too.

>   5D -- full frame sensor so I'd get more width out of my existing OM
> lenses, better(?) overall image quality, better(?) high ISO.

I think there is no question about better IQ and noise. But, how good do
you need, balanced against other factors? I expect the E-3 will be quite
good, possibly better in color balance and subtle quality.

If you like the quality from the E-330, the E-3 will way more than
satisfy you. I've just done some comparisons of dpreview studio shots
(Using the DZ 50/2) against a couple of non-SLR digicams. The E-330 is,
in absolute, pixel peeper terms, not very impressive, no better than the
comparison cameras at low iso. The E-3 will be in a whole different class.

> Weathersealedness is not critical, but not nothing either -- I'm not
> often out in the rain, but I _will_ be out in the snow, and I really
> appreciate being able to put a camera down on a snowy surface for a
> moment without worrying.

Again, weather sealing is relative, as the Antarctic trip showed. And
aftermarket cover solutions are cheap.
>   Live view + flip out screen are very nice; I really like those on the
> E-330, especially for taking baby photos. I don't know that it's more
> useful having it flip out than the E-330's flippyness, mind you. (I
> guess you can also take shots sideways, which may well start to become a
> necessity for sneaking up on Oliver now he knows what a camera is..).

I'm not sure I see such an either-or here. E-330  with 14-54, maybe
50-200  and OM adapter for Macro and kid shots and 5D or whatever else
for the other uses.

That's probably more than I know that might help - or further confuse.

Moose