[OM] Re: Deleterious effects of water on cameras, was: E-System weight

Subject: [OM] Re: Deleterious effects of water on cameras, was: E-System weight
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:20:50 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Speaking of water, Reichman has an article on his site
> <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/aa-07-worked.shtml> about his
> trip with a bunch of other photogs to the Falklands, South Georgia and
> the Antarctic Peninsula.  The weather was cold, wet and miserable.
> Along the way quite a few of the high end Canyons (both old and new)
> toasted their electronics due to water.  Some recovered after drying out
> and some didn't.  You'd think the innards would be better protected
> against moisture.
This was discussed here some time ago. AG's response was the most
informative to me. He suggested that moving cameras a lot from warm and
dry (Under a coat next to a warm body, for example.) to cold and wet
would "pump" moisture into the camera. The warm air inside contracts,
pulling air and water in through the seals. Do it over and over again
and voilà, sparks and sadness.

I wonder how many more might have survived if allowed to cool down under
a rain cover, then left out in the cold.

This whole weather thing seems perhaps a bit overblown to me. For people
like Bob, who spend a lot of time out in that stuff with camera in
glove, and who have income to pay for the sealed camera(s), sure. For
someone like me, a mostly fair weather photographer, there are many rain
covers designed specifically for cameras from P&Ss to pro DSLRs.  Some
are heavy duty and expensive, others less so. Some look more awkward
than others. Do as I did, just drop a two pack of these into your next
B&H order for $6.95. <http://optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=73>

Then don't do what I did next. The one time I've really wanted a rain
cover for the 5D, in Western Maine in a downpour, I went to get the rain
sleeve out of the camera backpack - and it wasn't where it's supposed to
be, or anywhere else. I guess I took it out when setting up the bag for
the trip and forgot to put it back, 'cause I found it waiting for me at
home. :-(       Fortunately, we did have towels in the car to wipe down
the inside of the door and cover the armrest, which is also full of
electrics these days, when I shot out the window.

Moose