[OM] Re: OM 1 MD

Subject: [OM] Re: OM 1 MD
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:11:53 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:
> ..Loaded with film, advanced the lever, heard a familiar click, composed,
> depressed the button and nothing, the button wasnt moving at all.  Then it
> clicked what that familiar click was.  It was the sound of the mirror moving
> up and down.  As soon as I advance the lever, the camera takes a picture.
> What is it doing that?  I havent depressed the shutter button yet...I went
> through all the speeds and then moved around the film speed dial, then left
> the mirror in up position, then tried using the timer in hope that my
> situation might improve.
> Nothing...
If I recall correctly, this is sometimes caused by a lever or levers in
the mirror mechanism just outside the mirror box. When you press the
shutter release, it doesn't actually release the shutter directly. It
releases the mirror-up mechanism, and the completion of that action
releases the shutter. So if the latch that holds the mirror in the down
position is worn or out of alignment, it is easily released at the wrong
time. The movement in the linkage that is supposed to release it as the
shutter is cocked can then set it off prematurely.
> Do you know what the sad part is?  I had this camera cla'd in 2003.  It came
> back with nonfunctioning light meter.  Then I send it back...four times, can
> you believe it?
I can't believe that was with John or Clint? I've never heard of such a
problem with either of them.
>   Four fucking times and light meter no workie.  I have no more than fifty
> pictures taken with it since then and now this...but I got a free focusing
> screen for all my trouble...:)
> Time to dust off the mint OM PC...
If it had the same build quality, I might well prefer the OMPC to the
OM-4 series. One of my favorite bodies.

Good luck!

Moose