[OM] Re: Varimagni on Canyon, was: Re: E-3 specs

Subject: [OM] Re: Varimagni on Canyon, was: Re: E-3 specs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:13:03 -0400
I have no EOS mount primes so I typically do use an OM mount Tokina
17/3.5, the Zuiko 24/2.8, the Zuiko 50/3.5 macro and the Vivitar Series
1 90/2.5 macro.  Less frequent but I have also used the 50/1.4, 50/1.8
and 85/2.  I've also sampled the Zuiko 135/3.5 and my newly acquired
Spiratone 400/6.3.  The latter, while in good condition, had been
mis-assembled by someone and wouldn't focus beyond about 25 meters.
It's fixed now but I've spent more time repairing it than using it.
Fortunately, it's easy to take apart.  No doubt that point was also
discovered by a previous and overly curious owner.  I also have a fair
number of OM mount zooms (mostly Kiron) but none cover any greater range
than the EOS mount Tokinas (28-80/2.8 and 80-200/2.8) that I bought
specifically for the 5D.  I have 28, 35 and 200mm Zuiko primes as well
but have never tried them except a few tests with the 28mm.  I should
probably test them against the Tokinas to see if they might perform
better for landscape work.

I like using the primes.  Given that I'm shooting from a reasonable
distance with modest apertures I can use the focusing and DOF scales
with good results.  Not dependent on my failing eyes.  Unfortunately,
they're hard to see when the camera is mounted at eye level on a tripod.

Chuck Norcutt