[OM] Re: Low light photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Low light photography
From: "Orin Keplinger" <orink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:15:23 -0500
How about chemical "Glow Sticks"?

I just finished some astronomy lens tests with a series of wide angle OM
f2 lenses. The moon was about 40% full and 30 degrees above the horizon.
I was taking 1 minute exposures on a tripod with ASA 800 color film with
the moon behind me. It was enough light to make the sky blue and the
cornfield and telephone pole I used for reference look almost perfectly
normal. I was trying to find the "sweetspot" lens to use for maximum sky
coverage while still being able to show meteor tracks. My guess is that a
glow stick or two in a mine would give you plenty of light for timed
exposures from a tripod.

Attachment - I have included a color 1.1 M .jpeg file of the big and
little dipper as an example. This is sampled down from 70 Meg tiff.

As Ever
Orin Keplinger
near Chicago