[OM] Re: Why the 50mm is still the best lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why the 50mm is still the best lens?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:35:45 -0400
Well, you'll notice you didn't see any Oly's mentioned there either.
But just mount your old 24/2 or 24/2.8 and you're in business.  The 21
or 28mm lenses would also make good substitutes.  In fact, I have always
understood that the "normal" focal length for a given format is given by
the diagonal of the frame since the subtended angle is supposed to
approximate the concentrated gaze of the human eye.  The 4/3 sensor has
a diagonal of 22.5mm so it's nicely bracketed by the Zuiko 21 and 24 as
contenders for a "normal" lens.

Of course, that same rule would say the normal lens for a 35mm size
frame is 43.3mm.  My first camera, the Petri 7s was closer at 45mm than
my 50mm lenses.  Maybe that's why some folks like the Zuiko 40/2.

Chuck Norcutt