[OM] Re: [OT] help any one know what's been eating at this floor and roo

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] help any one know what's been eating at this floor and roof beams
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:11:24 -0400
Since I know almost nothing about borers, treat my opinion as worth what
you paid for it... but my thought about the beams was that it was borer
but possibly produced while the tree was alive and the saw cut has
revealed the galleries.

My only firsthand knowledge of borers is having a couple small trees
killed by them.  I've never heard of borers attacking dried lumber in a
house but, in this country, modern houses, at least, are constructed of
kiln dried lumber which would kill any wild life living within.

The floor boards also struck me as looking a bit like borer galleries
but, at the same time, I'm a bit amazed that they seem to run so much on
the same plane as the saw cut.  From the image I can't tell whether some
of these tracks also plunge into the wood as I think they should from a
randomly wandering borer.  If everything seems on the surface I would
consider that they're simply impressions from heavy items being moved on
and/or resting on the floor.

Chuck Norcutt