[OM] Re: 12 Mp Olympus ?

Subject: [OM] Re: 12 Mp Olympus ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:34:59 -0400
It's a bit depressing to see the pixel wars carried on so blatantly here
but it appears that 12 MP has finally proven too much for the ever
shrinking sensor.  I note that the size for the 12 MP sensor has been
increased slightly from the more or less standard 1/1.8" to 1/1.72".

But don't get too excited yet.  It's hard to say what the actual sensor
area is given this crazy 1950's Vidicon tube size rating but it appears
to me to be only about a 5% increase in area over the 1/1.8" used on the
10 MP camera.  So the 12 MP camera gets a 5% increase in sensor area
over the 10 MP but has to support a 20% increase in pixel count.

Chuck Norcutt