[OM] The fang arrived yesterday

Subject: [OM] The fang arrived yesterday
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:48:11 -0400
The Spiratone Pluracoated 400 f/6.3 with OM T-mount and shiny black
leather case with bright red lining arrived yesterday.  The T-mount is
somewhere between KEH BGN and UGLY and there was no rear cap but the
lens and case are probably EX+.  I thought at first the rear element had
fungus on it but it turns out to only be dust.  Looks like the lens was
standing on its nose for quite a while outside the case at some time.  I
was also surprised to discover (just now as a matter of fact) what
appears to be a holder for a filter inside the cap of the case.  There
is a disk in the top of the cap with a leather grip tab on it and all is
held in place by two velcro strips.  The only thing I can think of is
that one is supposed to store a filter under the disk.  I was surprised
to find velcro in what is probably a late 70's or early 80's case.  I
didn't recall velcro going back that far.  But it does and well before
that.  And the urban legend that it was invented by or for NASA isn't true.

The lens is long but very light.  I was amazed to find that removing the
tripod mount and even the rear element required no tools at all.  Just
unscrew stuff with your hands.  Ah, for the simple days.  It's the only
pre-set lens I've ever had save for the 24 shift.  I'll probably forget
to close the aperture before shooting just like I used to do with the
shift lens.

It looks like it will be fun... especially since it cost not much more
than 20 bucks.

Chuck Norcutt