[OM] And where's the fisher?

Subject: [OM] And where's the fisher?
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
Fishers have been making their presence more known in my area of Eastern
Ontario; the first indication that they have moved into a city is the sudden,
unexplained drop in the domestic cat population.

  Two years ago, I was walking along a sidewalk just beside the 401 (major
east-west highway in Canada), where a city street goes underneath the highway
through an underpass. A small stream runs under the street, parallel to the
401. Approaching the bridge over the stream (just before the 401 underpass), I
saw a strange animal emerge from the long weeds on the other side of the
bridge/stream. It was the size of a small-to-medium dog, with a long tail. It
walked toward me with not a care in the world, then casually diverted back into
the weeds after crossing the bridge.

  A moment later, I was walking past the spot where the animal turned back into
the weeds. I looked down to see if there was any kind of trail.... no, not
exactly; but there was a pointy snout with black beady eyes atop sticking out
of the weeds about a foot and a half away from my feet: the fisher had decided
to wait and see if I was walking a tasty little doggy for it to pounce upon.

  The prefered food of the fisher is the porcupine, which it climbs up after
into trees and disembowels from below. Cat on steroids? More like a mini
wolverine. I can guess what it was thinking while standing below your deer
stand, Dean...

  John Morton.