[OM] Re: OM's in demand?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM's in demand?
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 17:50:55 -0500
On 9/4/07, Leandro DUTRA <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And what we are after is a manual camera — for auto stuff, we already
> have an E-510.­

You won't go wrong with either an OM-1N or OM-1.  If you can get one
converted to SR44 batteries, that's a good thing.  Otherwise, the
adapter from criscam.com is excellent:

<http://www.criscam.com/products_services/mercury_battery_adapters/index.aspx>

(A new MR-9 adapter from criscam will take a 386 battery, which is
different from SR44, but that's not a big deal.  You won't need very
many of them!)

If you will use a motor drive or winder with an OM-1(x), it's a good
idea to test the camera with one before you commit to purchase it and
make sure especially that the camera works with a motor/winder at the
speeds below 1/60.  I've had two OM-1s (I believe they were both OM-1
and not OM-1N) which worked perfectly in every other respect but would
not work with a winder at the slow shutter speeds.  One body had just
come back from CLA!  With some tweaking back at the shop, it worked
fine thereafter  If you want a winder, it might be best to purchase
one at the same time as the OM-1 just to make sure the pairing is a
happy one!

Olympus changed the wind-on mechanics after the OM-1N.  The "throw" of
the lever seems to be a little shorter with the OM-2S/4(x) and I
assume the 3 (I don't have one).  I've never had any winding issues
with the later models but more than I want with the OM-1(x).  Still,
this is a minor problem to fix, I gather.

It is pretty well-documented that the OM-1, or really any OM body, has
a bit of a kick, particularly noticeable when used with lenses longer
than even a short telephoto, as a result of the aperture stopdown
mechanism.  Mirror slap is not the issue, so the OM-1's famous mirror
lockup is not the solution.  It's probably best when shooting between
1/30 and 1/2 seconds to use a tripod but hold the lens firmly to
dampen vibration and squeeze the shutter as smoothly as possible.  For
this reason alone I feel that I have the ability to grip the OM-1
better when it is attached to a winder/motor.  I personally am not
very successful shooting extreme telephoto shots with the OM-1 unless
I can get to a reasonably high shutter speed, even when using a
tripod.

I love the OM-1 as a walkabout camera.  Tastes differ but I like the
1-13 focus screen the best.  An OM-1 will usually come with the 1-13
screen, but it may have a 1-4 screen, which is also very popular.

Joel W.