[OM] Re: OM photos finally on my blog!

Subject: [OM] Re: OM photos finally on my blog!
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 05:25:59 -0600
Moose,

The images conform more or less to how I saw the scenes with my eyes though
I think I went for a little more drama than I saw. The brightness range was
incredible though, I think the brightest sky areas fell about zone 14! The
film captured a lot more detail in highlights that, as you showed, can be
brought out with more extensive photoshop work. The problem is the halos,
which I am unable to get rid of totally no matter how I do the selection. I
hate seeing such halos, they scream "PHOTOSHOPPED" every time I see them on
a print, and here in santa fe I see a lot of bad prints like that offered
for sale by people who push things too far for dramatic effect. I tend to
get them on the horizon if I darken skies too much. And the skies were
darkened a lot already. The negatives show a tonal range that is far wider
than anything you could capture with most films...the XP2 has incredible
overexposure latitude. A "straight print" would have shown pure white sky or
pure black land.

I think our tastes are probably a little different, as I like subtle skies
behind subjects like the fence posts because I don't want distraction from
the main thing...I tend to use very simple front and center compositions of
things that separate them from their surroundings. I did kinda like the
darker sky in the ortiz mountain one....might mess with that one some more
later.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design