[OM] Re: SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES w ith OLYMPUS E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: SLIDE DUPLICATING - 5000ºK LIGHTBOXES w ith OLYMPUS E-1
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:20:37 +1000
> According to my Minolta color meter (which could probably use
> a calibration) my Gagne Porta-Trace puts out 5000K to 5250K
> depending on where you measure it from.  But as Wayne points
> out there is a green factor to be accounted for.
>
> This particular flourescent source would need a 10M filter.
>
> Of course this is from a guy who is color deficent in
> Red/Green and can use all the artifical help he can get.
>
> Jay - Who's non-calibrated meter is probably more accurate
> than the owner's rods and cones.

Most colour temperature meters make 2 measurements through a red and a blue
filter and the ratio of these 2 measurements is used to infer the colour
temperature.  This will obviously generate some value for colour temperature
for any light source, however it will only be meaningful if the light source
has the spectrum of a black body radiator (e.g. sunlight, tungsten lights).
I'm not even sure if it will be accurate for flash.

...Wayne