[OM] Re: In Praise of the Epson P3000

Subject: [OM] Re: In Praise of the Epson P3000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:59:14 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> You have a serious performance problem somewhere.  2 minutes is about
> what you should expect for a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II connected to a decent
> USB 2.0 reader... somewhere around 8-9 MB/sec.  If something is taking
> 15 minutes it's not USB 2.0.

Tricky nomenclature issue there. When USB 2.0 was announced, it
officially came in two flavors, 2.0, which met certain protocol changes,
or some such, but was no faster than 1.1, and 2.0 High Speed, which is
the useful version. Not long ago, when I was browsing for stuff, there
were still some peripherals that advertised USB 2.0, but were not the
high speed version. One has to look at the specs to check the transfer rate.

I assume this was all a political compromise to get everybody to sign
on. Certainly it was not for the benefit of the consumer.

There were certainly some 2.0 low speed card readers around early.
Probably still lurking here and there. PC card readers are all
relatively slow, a matter of the card to computer interface. The new PC
card standard, the name of which escapes me just now, is capable of very
high speeds, but card readers in that form were still expensive last
time I checked. Thre's more info on Rob Gailbraith's card site.

Moose