[OM] Color prints [was FS: two OM bodies + plethora of lens]

Subject: [OM] Color prints [was FS: two OM bodies + plethora of lens]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:23:11 -0700
Lukasz Grabun wrote:
> Dnia 06-08-2007 o 23:17:32 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):
>
>> You don't need a darkroom just to develop the film. Put the film in the
>> tank in a dark place or changing bag and then process in the light.
>>
> But I do need a dust free space to dry the negatives.
>
> Well, I will give it a try, anyway.
>
> (I had a little email exchange with a guy who said colour negatives are
> now a bit of a lottery and very lab-dependant so he prefers either slides
> or BW negatives in case of which one can't spoil too much.
There are two separate processes involved. The development of the
negatives is actually less subject to possible lab troubles than is
slide processing,a  sit involves more steps. Negative development should
be more reliable than the B&W processing you have been getting, as it is
done is machines, rather than by hand.
> I had to agree with him: same frame, two labs, two different results:
>
> http://grabun.com/tmp/odbitka-1.jpg )
Her you are talking about the second step, printing from the negs. Many
color neg printers have the machine adjusted to give bright, contrasty
images for the majority of their work, which is snapshots. The negative
contains more dynamic range than slides and more than print paper can
reproduce, so compromises need to be made in the automatic printing
computer. Some few, like the upper one in your example, try to retain a
lot of the dynamic range in a print with less "pop", while most are
happy to throw away the extremes of brightness and pump up contrast and
saturation to please snapshooters.

Here's a look at the same sample, first with simple Color Match from the
nice one to the other in PS, then with a little Curves adjustment. One
could, of course go further, but I just wanted to show how a few moments
transform the troublesome one into a nice alternative. Not having seen
the original, I have no idea which is closer.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Lukasz/odbitka-1.htm

Here in the US, "professional" processing  tends toward the former while
1 hour labs, drug stores, etc. do the latter. Even with the same brand
name.  For quality printing of color negs, you need to either:

1. Find a place that pleases you.
2. Scan the negs yourself and either:
   a. Have them printed by a place that will do it without any
adjustment on their part.
   b. Have them printed by a place with an icc profile available for its
printer and create print output files using it.
   c. Print them yourself.

The option of slides is only attractive IMO if you are planning to show
them with a projector. Otherwise, their more limited dynamic range is
just a limitation color neg. doesn't have. Scanning is about equally
easy with either, at least for me, but getting good prints from labs is
more difficult than for neg film.

Moose