[OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Configure a new PC - which processor
From: Richard <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:42:57 -0700
32 bits Windows means the base unit of addressing is 32 bits, and 32
bits means a maximum number of 4 billions (well 2 to the power of 32
or 4294967296 anyway). That's the theoretical max placed by the unit
of addressing. Windows adds other constraint as you said so 3 GB is
about the max for Windows.

Another consideration is that Photoshop (up until CS2 anyway, not
sure about CS3) has problems using memory greater than 2 GB...

At 03:16 PM 8/5/2007, Moose wrote:
>There is REALLY no point to 4 gb on 32 bit windows. There's some tricky,
>awkward way to address memory above 3gb. But, you won't get to use much,
>if any of the last gb anyway. It's all explained on the MS web site,
>albeit not straightforward to find (I wonder why?)

// richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly,
please use richard at imagecraft.com)