[OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences

Subject: [OM] Re: Fl**kr photos and their licences
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:41:11 -0700
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I accept that I've surrendered all right to the text I provide for
> the columns...

Woa, publishers are avaricious down there!

In the US and Canada, the norm for freelance work for periodicals is
"First North American Publishing Rights," (aka "FNAPR"), which means
you warrant that the work has not previously been published, and the
publisher holds the copyright for that particular depiction of your
work, and you own the copyright for the words.

Certain magazines that pay extremely well sometimes request
"Exclusive Rights," which means essentially the same as "work for
hire" -- they own the copyright. National Geographic comes to mind.
But this typically pays ten times what FNAPR pays four figures,
versus three.

:::: "Primitive skills" are trivial to learn, compared to getting
along with each other! It's not hard to make a stone axe -- what's
hard is not using it on your neighbor! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, http://www.EcoReality.org ::::