[OM] Re: OT (semi): CF card speed question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT (semi): CF card speed question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:03:35 -0400
My comment really didn't have anything to do with the underlying
technology of flash cards.  It's just that, when doing a write, you
first have to find an empty spot to store something.  That has much
higher software and (potentially) device overhead than does just
locating where something is already stored.  FAT was always pretty
inefficient to begin with but FAT32 is more so and the advent of very
large cards makes it much more likely that the necessary allocation
table data is too large to be fully cached.

In about 1986 I had developed a proof of concept for a dramatic
improvement in FAT file system performance and was going to prepare a
patent application when I discovered that a co-worker had independently
developed something very similar but his was better than mine in that
his was accomplishing similar performance gains while using less memory
(a big premium in those days).  Anyhow, IBM applied for and was
eventually granted the patent but Microsoft refused to use it in DOS.
To this day I still wonder if Microsoft or any other DOS provider has
thought to fill that glaring performance hole.

Chuck Norcutt